Tuesday, December 25, 2012

and it all began with just a baby...

...who would go on and change the world forever.

"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world...And everyone went to his town to register. So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying:

'Glory to God in the highest
and on earth peace to men on 
whom his favor rests.'

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.'
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told to them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told."
Luke 2:1-20

My family spent the day very low key. Mom and I decided to go to the movies and see Les Miserables.
It was a fantastic movie. I seriously cannot stop thinking about how amazing it was.
Anyhoo, part way through the movie, I remembered that it was Christmas day, and the meaning of this day hit me really hard. Perhaps it was the effects of goodness and forgiveness that resonate within the film, but I was very much reminded that those two themes originate solely from one infant on this very day, two thousand or so years ago.
I think that the story Victor Hugo told is a wonderful one,
but then I think about the story each and everyone of us are invited to live within,
and it is so much greater a tale, with so much goodness and so much forgiveness,
that it cannot possibly be contained in just one single day as December 25th.
I have always been intrigued with the relationship authors create and lead with their 
characters. And then I also remembered that I am indeed a character in the great story
of the greatest Author to ever be. And He strives after a relationship with me, just as Victor Hugo 
created one with Jean Valjean, and just as Jean Valjean sought after a relationship with
Cosette.

I grew up always knowing the story of His birth. But, I honestly believe that a reflection upon it each and everyday is something I should try to remember. Because I definitely forget what is most important in life all of the time. I know that in just a few weeks I will be caught up in the stresses of college and life just like everyone else. 
But for this moment, I would like to whole heartedly wish a very happy birthday to the source of unyielding forgiveness and undying love.

Happy birthday, Jesus. I love you.




p.s.
on a lighter, more blogger-ish note, eddie and i would like to wish all of you a very 
merry christmas



2 comments: