Friday, September 6, 2013

FASHION WEEK

Yesterday was the first day of Fashion Week over there in the beautiful New York City.
It's on my bucket list to attend Fashion Week one day {a girl can dream, right?}
I remember when I was pursuing modeling and all I could think about were those
white Mercedes-Benz tents and the crisp morning of early September after Anna Wintour had
published the infamous September issue of Vogue.

My first September issue came in 2007.
I was just thirteen years old, and I had been inspired by the Valentino show portrayed
in the movie, The Devil Wears Prada.
I can recall the music of the movie, the clothes, the skyscrapers of New York and those lights of Paris, and the way that Anne Hathaway wore those knee-high Chanel boots in the scene after Nigel converts her to fashion.

Everything clicked in that middle-school mind of mine, and I had decided: I will do whatever it takes to get into fashion. Marc Jacobs was my favorite designer, Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington became the wisest women I knew of, Twiggy made it okay for me to have a boyish figure {something I'm totally proud of to this day}, models like Coco Rocha, Bruna Tenorio, Raquel Zimmermann, Gemma Ward, and Sasha Pivovarova were the models that I followed religiously on the ready-to-wear shows, and individuals such as Gilles Bensimon or Patrick Demarchelier were photographers that I would have been honored to shoot with.


So I religiously read my Vogue issues, and when the September issue documentary was shown in my fashion and merchandising class just a few years later, I eagerly recalled the first time I saw color blocking and a haute couture editorial. I was in love again, and at that time a small photographer was pursuing me. {Sadly I decided at the time that pursuing a career as a doctor was a better thing to do than immersing myself in vanity, and the photographer soon went away and I haven't heard from him since. I laugh about it now because science and I don't mix whatsoever, while words and clothes and I...well, those are my passions. Hooray for wanting to change the world, no?}.

Nonetheless, there was a time that I was completely, and utterly enthralled in fashion. For sometime during my senior year I still wondered to myself, Perhaps I could have a career as a writer or an editor in fashion... But it's a silly thought that I don't dare admit out loud to anyone because, really, the stakes are too high, and I am going to be too old too soon, and, well, the OC isn't NYC...

Today is still the second week of FW F/W 2013, though, and I bet that New York feels like Christmas for people like editors, designers, stylists, models, photographers, city-goers, even...

And I am quite jealous of them all. ;)

As vain and as expensive as the whole world of fashion is, I can't help but adore it. Really. Not just for the shoes and clothes, but for the art and for all of the words that come with it.

I, being the small-town girl that I am, have never owned designer things.
But sometime last year, in a little thrift store, I came across a pair of black women's slacks. They're high waisted and button up to the top. They're cuffed at the bottom, and the seams are just right.
Real material...designer? I wondered.
And on the tag it read: Made In Italy.
And: Dolce & Gabbana.

I kind of died. And they're kind of my favorite thing I've ever bought.
$40 for a pair of vintage designer D&G pants, I think yes!
I put them on occasionally. Though I am no size 2 in clothes from, say, Target,
I can manage a 0 in European clothes...at least those pants anyways. {Makes no sense to me.}
They fit a bit too big, but I am determined to wear them soon if I get the chance
to dress up fancy.

And the best part? They're meant solely for sky-high heels. About 5 inches to be exact. Which puts me at a whopping 6 feet tall. I wish this weren't true, but it is. I'll learn to embrace my height eventually, guys!
So I guess you could say that, all around, they make an outfit feel like a million bucks.
And they assure me that I don't need to be some fashion-somebody to put on a good outfit
and feel good wearing it.



Happy Fashion Week, everyone.
And happy styling to those who love to
take this whole month's worth of looks literally.
I'm excited for:
Anna Sui,
Diane Von Furstenberg,
BCBG Max Azria,
J.CREW,
and Zac Posen...to name a few.

xoxo


Below are some of those editorial pictures from the 2007 issue that completely changed everything.




 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment