Saturday, April 26, 2014

"What do you want to be?"

I've been asked this very question over and over.
I've probably had this blog post up before, as well.

However, sophomore year will be over in just five more days
and I am finally understanding what my response to the 
aforementioned questions implies. 

A professor took the time to sit with me on my birthday just
two weeks or so ago. And recently another professor has repeatedly sat and listened to
me before and after class. 

I can ramble on and on about anything -- as you guys know ;)

But since college is half way complete, I'm finding that these
rambles help me discover and verbalize and connect ideas that
I wasn't quite sure about before.

So I was asked about writing and, along those lines, asked
what it is I need to do, which essentially has the same answer.

Maybe I'm not even a writer, I said.
But do you need to do it? 
Yes. I need it.

And then she quoted someone about writing and I can't for the life of me
remember what that quote was or who said it, but it had to do with being a writer --
how a writer wasn't someone who merely chose to do so, but they needed to do so.

You get the point.


I had always doubted my age, experience, flaws, creativity, etc.
But my professors have this faith in me that is just uncanny.

Every writer thinks they're someone but only a few make it, I said.
But what if you're one of those few individuals? she asked.
And, well, that just pushed me to an endless goal...sort of like the individuals mentioned below:



Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen.
- Willa Cather

A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it is to be God.
- Sidney Sheldon

People on the outside think there’s something magical about writing, that you go up in the attic at midnight and cast the bones and come down in the morning with a story, but it isn’t like that. You sit in back of the typewriter and you work, and that’s all there is to it.
- Harlan Ellison

You learn by writing short stories. Keep writing short stories. The money’s in novels, but writing short stories keeps your writing lean and pointed.
- Larry Niven



The End.  


1 comment:

  1. go out there and do what you have to do girl.believe in yourself.xx

    dreaming is believing

    ReplyDelete