Saturday, December 26, 2015

thank you, tolkien.

i have a little book that i've kept for a few years now. it's filled with quotes that i collect, usually on tumblr or from pieces that i read.

having a break in between semesters has allowed me the time to collect quotes. it's been
a good few months since i've opened the little book.

this past week, here are some that i have collected:

You want everything so much and when you get it it's over and you don't give a damn.
-Ernest Hemingway

I own myself, I own my leaving.
-Jorie Graham

I needed my mistakes in order to get my here.
-W.S. Merwin

I write best when I am either, 
Falling in love,
Or falling apart.
-Rudy Francisco

We should meet in another life, we should meet in air,
Me and You.
-Sylvia Plath

Let's face it. We're undone by each other. And if we're not, we're missing something.
-Judith Butler

I've read about that in books, but I never dreamed I should feel it myself.
-C.S. Lewis

and my favorite of all -- something i am consciously and currently
trying to teach myself at this phase in my life:

It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

+++

i love each of the excerpts. i found them all at random, yet they tell a story that is entirely accurate to my life at the moment. so, once again, i am reminded that words are a lot like magic.

but that last quote unnerved me when i read it.
so i have looked upon it several times over this past week. 

it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.

"it is no bad thing."

tolkien could have said that it is a good thing to celebrate a simple life,
but the word "good" leaves room for an opposing side -- with good comes the possibility of bad.

but to state that it is no bad thing doesn't just bring reassurance that a simple life is a good life.
to say that a simple life is no bad thing is to completely exclude any possibility of the bad, and to make room solely for the good.


it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life --

and with ten words tolkien completely 
stripped me in all of my fears of the future and what i think it should look like.
and the goodness of ten words combed together to articulate a whisper of reassurance and truth 
has anchored me in this quiet changing season of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment